The virus copies all your data files (documents, pictures, music etc), encrypts it, then deletes your original data. It then pops up on your screen asking you to pay hundreds of dollars to receive a key to unlock your files. DON'T PAY! In most cases users do not get a key. So now you've lost your data and your money.
So what do you do if this happens to you? You can call Computer Champ or you can have a go fixing things yourself:
- Remove the virus.
- Try recovering your original data that was deleted by the virus.
- Delete your now encrypted\locked data.
- Recover your data from your backup, if you do regular backups.
- Make sure to do regular backups and disconnect your external hard drive after each backup has been done. (You don't want any virus spreading to your backup.)
- Make sure you have an Antivirus program installed and check that it's up to date.
You just got to be careful what you click on these days. An antivirus will stop a lot, but every now and then a virus will get through the cracks, so be on your guard.