- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi or Ethernet (left hand side) > click on your Wi-Fi or Ethernet name (top right).
- Turn on the "Set as metered connection".
- Some programs or apps may give you notifications that you have a limited Internet connection and my behave a little differently.
- Definitely do this when you're connected to a mobile hot spot / tethered connection.
- Only from the 4th version of Windows 10 (Creators Update - Version 1703) can you set an Ethernet connection as metered.
- If you connect to another Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection you need to set that as metered too.
- Windows Apps wont update, but desktop programs like Chrome will continue to update.
- Disables peer-to-peer uploading of updates.
- Tiles may not update.
- Alternatively if you just want to control when the updates occur so that your computer doesn't restart whilst you're working, then just change the active hours: Got to Settings > Update & security > Change active hours (on the right hand side)
For help with your computer, call Darrin at Computer Champ, on 0430 984 522.