- It's free until the 29th of July 2016.
- You can go back to Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8.1 within a month if you don't like it.
- The Start Menu is back with programs and apps shortcuts.
- Virtual desktops (like Apple computers) - Use Windows key and Tab key to switch.
- Snap up to 4 windows on one screen, including apps.
- Apps can now be run in a windowed mode, instead of full screen.
- Quicker start up time than Windows 7.
- Microsoft Edge replaces Internet Explorer. It's faster and has a Reading Mode which removes all clutter from web pages to make them easier to read. You can also annotate web pages and share them with your friends.
- Cortana is a digital personal assistant. (it's like the iPhone's Siri) It provides info about your email, calendar and websites you visit.
- Improved Search for files, programs or websites from your taskbar.
- Windows 10 is to be the last version of Windows. Like Apple's OS X, it will have updates. So anything else will be very old soon.
- DirectX 12 for improved performance and graphical features to new PC games for those with compatible graphics cards.
- Stream Xbox games from the console to the PC, when your TV is being used.
- For touch screen tablet/laptops, Continuum is a feature where you will be prompted to switch between the touch and non-touch modes whenever you connect or disconnect the keyboard. So the Start screen and apps will adjust themselves accordingly.
- Windows 10 may not work with old printers. Check the manufacturer's website for your model's compatibility.
- Windows 10 may not work with old versions of software, like and old version of MYOB for example. Check their website.
- There may be some bugs in the initial release, which should get fixed within 6 to 12 months. This assumption is only based on Microsoft's history with all their operating systems.
- It loses Windows Media Center. Not a problem, just download the free VLC.
- It loses Windows 7 gadgets. You can download lots of gadgets from the Windows Store.
- It loses Microsoft Solitaire, Hearts and Minesweeper. They can be replaced with versions from the Windows store.
- Cortana uses Microsoft Bing as the search engine. (Not Google).
- Like Windows 8, you have to log in with a Microsoft Account, if you want to use OneDrive and have all your settings and apps sync on multiple Windows 10 devices.
- Microsoft will keep issuing security patches for Windows 7 until January 2020 and for Windows 8 until January 2023. Even Windows Vista will get security updates until April 2017. So no need to rush.
- Windows 10 Home will make updates compulsory.
- Here's how to upgrade if you currently have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Click on this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/windows-10-upgrade
- If you'd like a clean/custom install of Windows 10, not merged with your old operating system, call us to make it a cleaner, faster Windows 10. All correct drivers installed and programs working properly.